Ben's take on gadgets, technology... life

AvatarWhen memory is placed online, it's for LIFE

Microsoft might just revive the 'spark' I have for their web products...

I don't know about you but I'm one of those individuals who started straying away from Microsoft when it comes to their browser and web services like MSN, Hotmail etc.

Don't get me wrong though. I love Microsoft products. Heck, I even develop using Microsoft products and I can never imagine a world without Visual Studio. It's just that lately, I've found them to be trying too hard and somehow, it just doesn't have that 'appealing factor' or shall I say 'google' factor. So much so that I now use Firefox as my primary browser (experimenting with Google's latest - Chrome), for chatting, I use Skype, for blogging - you're reading it right now - Blogger.

What could be the cause though? I don't know - but one thing for sure, I might have put Microsoft web products away for too long.

It all started with Hotmail
Jeez! How much it has changed!

image

It now uses AJAX technology. Very similar to Gmail. Interface is extremely fast, colourful and doesn't give you that aged 'hotmail' feel. Even the name has changed - it's now called Windows Live Mail. The big plus? 5 GB of STORAGE and Hotmail even provides personalized domains - ie. yourname@yourname.com! Much similar to Google Apps.

The MSN Live Messenger (a.k.a MSN Messenger) experience
Just 15 minutes ago, I was thinking of installing MSN Messenger. It's been EONS since I've used MSN. There are a couple of reasons why... not much of a chatty person online plus sometimes you just want your private time online doing whatever we're doing... you know what I mean??? :P

So anyway, I went ahead, did the download and voila! Not only does MSN Live Messenger come with a funky looking installation software - it even offers additional LIVE software which I could add into the download bundle! It was when I saw Microsoft Writer (more on this later).

Messenger was downloaded. Nothing much to shout about though I haven't given it a thorough poke and play yet.

image

Instead, I was more interested in Microsoft Live Writer which I opted into the download.

Microsoft Live Writer...
Sounds like another Microsoft Word wannabe? Nope. It's Microsoft's latest and greatest and FREE-est software meant for bloggers like me! It's basically a software which allows you to post blogs without having to logon into your blog provider's site - in my case - blogger.com.

What really amazed me was how EASY it was to configure!

  1. Start the app
  2. Key in the blog address - www.benjern.com
  3. Key in my username & password
  4. DONE!

Within moments, the software has detected the provider I used, loaded all the relevant settings... Next thing I knew, I was brought into a screen where my blogging template was downloaded, my categories (in blogger terms - tags) were loaded - I was just ready to go!

The awesome interface which is clean and EXTREMELY functional is another GREAT plus. Beat's Blogger's web posting interface.

image

I must say, as simple as it seems and sounds, this is one killer app for bloggers and I'd highly recommend it to everyone. Download it here.

Microsoft... welcome back to the playing field...
With Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 leaving it's beta stage soon along with these 'LIVE' enhancements to Microsoft's Web Services, it looks like Microsoft is back on track.

Checkout their Live search! - even that looks good and works great!

PS. This entire post was written through Microsoft's Live Writer :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment