Ben's take on gadgets, technology... life

AvatarWhen memory is placed online, it's for LIFE

The best - FREE XML editor out there...

My last assignment this semester is to create an XML file along with it's corresponding DTD. I tried a tool which my university uses, HTML Kit - a pretty comprehensive free tool for web development but in my opinion, its pretty crappy when it comes to XML. Troubleshooting my DTD was a nightmare... the built-in validator would identify error locations which simply doesn't exist!

I decided to scour the web for the best XML editor I could find. The keywords were "FREE XML editor" but I kept getting XML editors offering FREE Trial of their XML editors. Finally, I came to a link (actually one of my few stops for web development resource, w3schools.com) and under the XML section, they recommended this application called XMLSpy.

I downloaded the app (a hefty 17MB) and got it installed. I launched the application, and the moment I opened my XML files, they were validated against my DTD instantly! This time, errors were shown with pin point accuracy... immediately, I got it corrected and whoala... I was done.

The second bit of my assignment which also involves the creation of a DTD was completely done through XMLSpy. It was a charm to use. It's one of those applications that you begin using and almost immediately, you feel so at home - everything is within reach, the relevant buttons, relevant features, great shortcuts...

In terms of ratings, I give this application - 9 out of 10!

If you are undergoing an XML course, you simply LOVE working with XML or you are just looking for something to download - XMLSpy is it!

For those who are notepad loyalists when it comes to XML, once you use XMLSpy, you will no longer be loyal... :)

Oh well, have fun and start downloading XMLSpy NOW!

0 comments:

Post a Comment