Ben's take on gadgets, technology... life

AvatarWhen memory is placed online, it's for LIFE

My Shingles and I

It's been 3 days since I had myself diagnosed of having shingles (if you don't know what I'm talking about, read the last few posts).

It's been healing. The little "pimples" have semi-dried up and I trust that it would be time to return to campus. I haven't been to classes for the past 2 days - I miss campus... OK to be really honest - I feel guilt.

So there I was heading for campus early this morning, arrived, fresh environment of people moving around (you see, I have been "caged" or shall I say "quarantined" in my home and all I see is my dog, my room and Stella - when she's not out and about).

I headed for my first tutorial of the day. Since it was nearing an assignment dateline, the tutor gave students some time to roam about and work on their individual assignments. Everytime a student came near me I would say "WAIT! Have you had chicken pox???" - and they would go "Erm... Yes/No, WHY?" and I would go "erm.. nothing...".

You see, the word Shingles sounds REALLY SCARRY. It sounds like a life threatening virus. A virus which would kill. The fact is, yes, it could kill, if not taken cared of - and can spread, causing chicken pox to those who have not had chicken pox.

After conquering the first class, I felt that I was prepared to move on and this shingles thing will not hinder me from the rest of the classes.

As I have missed Monday's and Tuesday's classes, I decided to drop by a lecturer's room to hand him my Medical Certificate and inform him of my condition. Immediately, he took a seat back, GASPED, and went "you shouldn't be in campus, its CONTAGIOUS. Maybe you shouldn't come for the tutorial class later. You could be spreading it to everyone...".

What he said was true, I could be spreading it to those students who have never had chicken pox. With examinations nearing, I do not want to jeapordize anyone's ability to study and sit for the examinations.

Thanks to Moral Studies - I learned the word - Utilitarianism - that is, to perform an action for the greater good. In my case, if I were to decide not to attend my classes for the rest of the day, I might feel more guilt but then, since I'm doing it for the hundreds and thousands of students in Monash University Malaysia - it will be a noble, right and moral thing to do. :)

So there, Ben has spoken. I shall now return home, back into "quarantine" mode.

0 comments:

Post a Comment