Ben's take on gadgets, technology... life

AvatarWhen memory is placed online, it's for LIFE

I have finally "touched"...

The iPhone!!! It's NUTS! It's true... it wasn't a dream... and no, it's not mine coz it'll be kinda silly since the phone doesn't exactly work in Malaysia (unless you've got a sim-less mobile line based in the US and roam in Malaysia - which can cost something 5 ringgit per minute for local calls :))... the problem is that the iPhone doesn't support sim cards...

Anyway, back to the phone. Fabes and I were heading home after work so we boarded the aerotrain (yes the station is located all the way in the International Departure Hall - Satellite building) and there we met a couple of guys who just came back from Los Angeles. One of them was a Malaysian who works in the US. First thing that came out of my mouth was... "So, did anyone get an iPhone?"...

True enough, one dude said "I didn't but HE did..." I GLARED at him. He took out the phone from his backpack and behold... the iPhone just centimeters away from me. I grabbed it, apologized for being such a sakai and started caressing, poking and meddling.

First few impressions, it was SOLID. Very very solid but slim. All these while, I've been seeing this phone on the computer screen. All the pictures, all the reviews, the hype and finally... I had it - in metal and diodes... right before me.


I got it switched on and started playing with a couple of things, starting apps such as the built-in supposedly best mobile browser in the world "safari"... it loaded up as soon as I touched the screen then I tried the 2-point touch feature where you "pinch" the screen to zoom out and "expand with your fingers" to zoom in. Everything was extremely responsive. There was no delay whatsoever. I've been using mobile phones for a while now (in fact, I've tried over 50 phones) and this is the fastest, most responsive phone I've ever touched.

The interface was simple - just simple. There were no cluttered confusing buttons. Just simple... navigation. With the "safari" browser opened, I took a closer look at the product's case - admiring it's shining beauty when suddenly, the screen turned and switched to landscape mode when I turned the product to a particular angle - it was magical.

The screen was simply gorgeous... it was BIG... the "home" button had a very nice tactile feel... I didn't get to play with the on-screen predictive keyboard though... :( wanted to try more features such as the camera, go through the contact list, checkout the widescreen iPod but I only had a 3-minute ride on the aerotrain and that's all the time I had...

BUT... from the brief moment I had with the phone - I must say, Apple's done it again - another revolutionary product. I'm amazed... shocked to the highest level - so when is it arriving in Malaysia?

0 comments:

Post a Comment