Ben's take on gadgets, technology... life

AvatarWhen memory is placed online, it's for LIFE

Another gem from the Internet... LogMeIn

image

I love freebies... who doesn't? I've always seen such ads online - "Left some documents in the office? At Home? Urgently need to access that computer from a remote destination?" - I never got to them coz I always thought it'd be too troublesome to setup.

I was SO WRONG. It's one of those days when I decided to checkout this ad which was BLARING before my eyes - LogMeIn.com was the site... they had a FREE edition so I gave it a try...

Painless installation
Installation was painless... a couple of clicks and I was done... even connecting to my computer from a remote computer was a simple click and go affair. Within minutes, I was logged into my computer with LogMeIn installed, happily clicking away as though I was right in front of my desktop. The software just makes remote computing EXTREMELY easy to use.

No firewall configuration
As with most high-tech "gizmos" or software for that matter, I'd expect a teeny weeny bit of firewall configuration just to let the application through either on the operating system end or router / modem end. This is what I absolutely love about LogMeIn - ZERO configuration whatsoever. Everything just configures itself...

Go Free or Pro
There are 2 versions on the site for you to choose from. FREE (version I'm using - I'd go for anything free) and of course, there's the Pro version. Difference in the Pro?

  • FREE food (NOT!)
  • ability to listen to the audio on the remote PC! Listen to Mp3s on your computer while you're miles away from your PC!
  • Remote printing! Need to print to your printer at home? Hit connect and VOILA!
  • File transfer - Got a file left at home? This feature will get that sorted. That said however, I'm just too cheap to pay for this so I'd rather open up a browser on the remote computer end, logon to GMail and have it mailed to myself - VOILA! :P
  • loads more!

Thing is, if you don't need any of the above mentioned features or found a way to go around it, the FREE version really is enough. It does it's job. It's fast, efficient and most importantly HASSLE FREE installation.

Highly recommended. Go grab a copy of it today @ www.logmein.com! Trust me, you'll need it someday... :)

1 comments:

9:49 PM Anonymous said...

As a much less expensive alternative to LogMeIn, I'd personally recommend Techinline Remote Desktop (www.techinline.com) As a small business with a limited budget, I find it a bit tight to pay hundreds of dollars monthly for a remote desktop service for my helpdesk. We recently switched from LogMeIn to Techinline, and despite not being as fully featured, it's a very easy to use and slick service which runs through the browser and bypasses any installations and downloads. At a fraction of the price of LogMeIn, I find this tool to be an absolute steal

Post a Comment